Pasta is defined as a dish that consists of dough made from wheat and water. It is stamped into a variety of shapes and it is cooked in boiling water. A pasta salad refers to a mixture of foods with pasta as the base.
Pasta may look innocent but it is packed with nutrients such as carbohydrates, fiber, selenium, manganese, folate and carotenoids. These substances work together to give you a lot of health benefits.
You can actually cook pasta in a lot of ways; all of the dishes you make are sure to give you a healthy and satisfying treat. Here are two quick and simple pasta recipes you can consider for your next meal:
Veggie Pasta Salad
This is a healthy pasta dish that uses whole-grain. It is low in carbohydrates and it uses veggies to enhance its health-giving potentials.
Pasta spirals – 1 8-ounce pack
Sweet onion, diced – 1/4 cup
Hot chili pepper, fresh, seeded and minced – 1/2 piece
Tomatoes, seeded and chopped – 2 pieces
Cucumber, seeded and chopped – 1 piece
Bell pepper, green, chopped – 1/2 piece
Olive oil – 1/4 cup
Tomato sauce – 1/4 cup
Lime juice – 1/4 cup
Red wine vinegar – 3 tablespoons
Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Black pepper, ground – suit to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
1. Fill a large pot with water. Apply a little amount of salt into it.
2. Add the pasta into the boiling water. Cook it for about eight minutes or until it becomes tender yet firm.
3. Remove the pasta from the pot and rinse it with cold water until it becomes cool.
4. Drain the water from the pasta with the use of a strainer and transfer it to a large bowl.
5. Add the sweet onion, chili pepper, tomatoes, green bell pepper and cucumber to the pasta.
6. Use a separate bowl to contain the mixed olive oil, lime juice, tomato sauce, red wine vinegar, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
7. Sprinkle the mixed ingredients in item 6 over the pasta and stir to coat.
8. Chill the pasta in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
9. Stir to serve.
Simple Pasta Salad
This is not a common pasta salad, but it is tasty treat you’ll probably appreciate. Note that you can use more or less of its ingredients depending on your taste.
Rotini pasta, tricolor – 1 12-ounce package
Tomatoes, plum, quartered – 4 pieces
Cucumber, quartered and sliced – 1 piece
Bell Pepper, green, minced – 1/2 piece
Red onion, minced – 1/4 piece
Black olives, sliced – 1 2.25-ounce can
Salad dressing, Italian style, zesty lite – 1 16-ounce bottle
Bacon bits – 1 2.5-ounce pack
Cranberries, dried – 1/2 of 6-ounce pack
1. Fill a large pot with water, add a little salt to it and bring it to boiling temperature.
2. Add the rotini pasta to the boiling water and allow it to cook for about eight minutes or until it becomes firm.
3. Remove the water from the pot and rinse the pasta with cold water.
4. Drain the pasta with the use of a large strainer.
5. Put your pasta in a large bowl and add to it the tomatoes, green bell pepper, black olives, cucumber, and red onion.
6. Pour in your Italian-style salad dressing over the pasta mixture and toss to coat.
7. Sprinkle your cranberries and bacon bits over the salad before serving.
These are two pasta pasta salad recipes easy on the budget and quick to make. You can do this if you want to treat your family or friends with quick yet healthy pasta treat.
You may also like:
Pasta: Natural Weight-Loss Foods (health.howstuffworks.com)
Top 10: Healthy Pasta Dishes (foodandwine.com)